Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Bakery Spotlight: Luscious Layers

Some people are not big on cake… but in my opinion, no wedding is complete without CAKE! So I have made it my mission to scope out the best bakeries in Chicago… enter Luscious Layers, a new bakery that just opened in  Bucktown. The husband and wife team of Ashley and Kile, are adorable and SO passionate about what they do. Ashley is the baking brawn and Kile is the graphic mastermind (check out their awesome website!) I read about them in Daily Candy and immediately called to set up a tasting.

Their tastings are $25 (and so worth it), although if you book with them, that $25 goes towards the cost of your cake. You get to choose 4 delicious cake combos, and let me tell you they have some INSANELY unique flavors! How often can you find lavender, margarita, or pistachio cake? Or if you have a special flavor request, they can accommodate at no extra charge! Check out my goodies:

IMG_4088 Clockwise from top left: Coffee cake with mocha mousse, red velvet with cream cheese frosting, champagne cake with strawberries and whipped cream, and green tea cake with green tea whipped cream and cream cheese frosting.

The winner? Green tea cake! I LOVE green tea ice cream, and I LOVE cake, so hands down my fave. Yeaaap, wipe that drool, hehe. 

After the tasting, you get to talk about the design of the cake. That’s where Kile’s graphic design background comes into play – he comes up with “stencils”, which are essentially different mock-ups. He will work with you until the design is exactly as you imagine it to be! In my case, I requested an imaginary Eiffel Tower themed cake as my hubby and I got engaged there in 2006!

LusciousLayersStencil

Go visit them at 2315 N. Damen. And better yet… pick up a cupcake for $1. Yes. ONE DOLLAR CUPCAKES! (only when you pick them up from the bakery case).

IMG_4090

No comments: